Did you know that 90% of Australian adults had a least one, and 44% had at least three, modifiable chronic disease risk factors? These risk factors may lead to chronic health conditions such as cancers, heart disease, stroke, arthritis, diabetes and mental health conditions.
If you are aged 45-49 years of age, you may be eligible to receive a bulk billed health check-up to help you identify these risks and make changes to improve your health and prevent diseases.
What are some of the Risk Factors for Chronic Disease?
• Excessive alcohol use
• Excessive weight
• High blood pressure
• High cholesterol
• Inactive lifestyle
• Excessive stress
• Excessive sun exposure
• Family history of chronic disease such as cancers (e.g. skin, bowel, breast and prostate cancers), diabetes and heart disease
What should I expect at a 45-49 year old health check-up?
You will initially be assessed by one of our experienced chronic disease management nurses – a detailed assessment (including discussion and examination) will be made to identify whether you may have any existing conditions and what your risk factors are. Information will be provided to you for your overall risks (e.g. low, average and high) for developing chronic diseases such as:
• Cancers – Breast, prostate, skin, bowel
• Heart disease
• Mood disorders such as depression and anxiety
• And other conditions
You will then see your GP to discuss these findings with you, and a written report including recommendations to improve your health and reduce your risk will be provided to you. Recommendations may include:
• Ways to change your risk factors by lifestyle changes and natural means (e.g. exercise, dietary advice and supplements such as fish oil tablets.)
• If any further testing is required (e.g. Cholesterol tests, or diabetes blood tests)
• Or if any conditions are identified, any treatments required.
Due to the comprehensive nature of this health check, please allow approximately 1 hour in clinic to complete the whole assessment.
Please contact reception on 07 3267 5088 should you wish to book in for a 45-49 year old health check or if you would like to speak with one of our friendly chronic disease management nurses for further information.